We love pets, but they aren’t the best advocates for their own cause. Don’t worry, they’re not offended by that. They give us endless love, compassion, loyalty and cuddles. It’s our end of the bargain to give them food, shelter, protection and endless tummy rubs. That’s why it’s our mission to put pets in homes and keep them there - because all pets are meant to be with good people.
Your Role with Us:
We are not your ordinary non-profit. We prefer to think of ourselves as an innovative and mission-driven social enterprise. If you can’t tell by now - we like to think outside of the box. And if you do too, we’ll probably be a great match. We are just regular people that have an extreme passion for pets and an idea to change the world for them.
In this role you’ll get to interact with a lot of people, pets, and personalities. But that’s okay, because that’s what makes you thrive. You can handle a lot of things coming at you at once. You’re probably really good at whack-a-mole. We expect you will work hard and play hard. Collaboration is the way we work best. We believe that a multitude of creative minds working together makes all the difference.
This position will be responsible for supporting the culture of Michelson Found Animals within our retail and adoption program - Adopt & Shop! Adopt & Shop is the pet store with a purpose. Reporting to the General Manager, this position will be supervise training and development of our awesome staff and volunteers along with some retail management. This position will be required to work nights and weekends. If you have rockstar skills when it comes to training and developing - read on!
- Be a leader! Give guidance to our staff and volunteers ensuring that what needs to get done - gets done!
- Oversee the training and developing of our Retail & Adoption staff and volunteers. Help us achieve our goals and be all that we can be.
- Work closely with our rockstar volunteers. You’ll be their guide, helping to direct, train, and provide leadership while working closely with our Volunteer Management Team and the General Manager.
- Work closely with Human Resources and the Volunteer Management Team to create and implement new, exciting, and, creative training programs.
- Define a positive, fun, and safe environment for all volunteers by creating a strong culture of collaboration and communication. Like we said - that’s they way we work best.
- Take on diverse responsibilities to help our volunteers grow in their skillsets. Be a part of program development, fostering volunteer leadership roles and volunteer recognition.
- Make sure everyone is on the same page. Communicate with the team about store performance and goals. We want to know where we’re at!
- Help associates with sales techniques that help them maximize their sales.
- Be a retail rockstar. Perform duties relating to inventory management and sales analysis.
- Help our customers locate and select the merchandise that they need while maximizing sales, ensuring that they leave with smiling faces and wagging tails.
- Educate our customers on “Why we do what we do!”. Tell them about how Adopt & Shop is the pet store with a purpose and that shopping with us saves lives
- Open and close cash registers, count money, balance cash drawers, and prepare deposits. You could do this in your sleep.
- Make sure our store is in tip-top shape and lookin’ spiffy and clean!
- Manage the selection of animals and merchandise for the Catty Wagon. You know what’s hot and what’s not.
- Directly manage the Catty Wagon staff offering direction and feedback.
- Manage the receiving process at Adopt & Shop Culver City working closely with the Assistant Buyer to quickly resolve any discrepancies that may arise.
- Be proactive about finding solutions for any issues that may arise at Adopt & Shop and the Catty Wagon. There’s no problem you can’t tackle.
- Know the 4-1-1 on Adopt & Shop. You’re hip to everything that is going on in the stores.
- Show that reporting and metrics make sense to you. You know everything there is to know about our financial objectives, expenditures, variances and corrective actions.
- Be our enforcer. You know all of the company’s policies, procedures, and directives.
- Facilitate adoptions! Help pair potential pet parents with their new furry best friends.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Regularly lift and/or move up to 20 lbs.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 lbs.
- Rarely lift and/or move up to 50 lbs.
- Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Have 3+ years of retail experience.
- Experience in an animal shelter, veterinary office, training or boarding facility. Vet Tech experience isn’t required but it would surely knock our socks off.
- Experience in an animal shelter, veterinary office, training or boarding facility isn’t required but it would surely knock our socks off!
- Have a record of creating and maintaining relationships with vendors and sales teams.
- Have rockstar customer service skills, experience with all things related to retail management including, purchasing, analyzing trends, managing inventory, promotions, recognizing security risks and thefts, and know how to prevent or handle these situations.
- Know what the H-E-Double Hockey Sticks you’re doing when you’re using Google GSuite. Netsuite experience would be helpful too!
- Be accepting and welcoming of change, knowing that change is an opportunity to improve.
- Must love puppies & kittens. But, really, who doesn’t?
- Be a multi-tasking Guru when it comes to juggling many different projects at a time.
- Be able to communicate effectively with all types of people and pets (and if you can actually talk to pets - let us know your secret. We’ve been trying for years!).
- Have a burning desire to make a difference and save the lives of pets.