Your Role with Us:
We are not your ordinary non-profit. We prefer to think of ourselves as an innovative and mission-driven social enterprise. If you can’t tell by now - we like to think outside of the box. And if you do too, we’ll probably be a great match. We are just regular people that have an extreme passion for pets and an idea to change the world for them.
In this role you’ll get to interact with a lot of people, pets, and personalities. But that’s okay, because that’s what makes you thrive. You can handle a lot of things coming at you at once. You’re probably really good at whack-a-mole. We expect you will work hard and play hard. Collaboration is the way we work best. We believe that a multitude of creative minds working together makes all the difference.
This position will be responsible for supporting the culture of Michelson Found Animals within our retail and adoption program called Adopt & Shop. Adopt & Shop is the pet store with a purpose! Reporting to the Chief Program Officer, the General Manager will oversee all aspects of Adopt & Shop Culver City, Adopt & Shop Lakewood, and the Catty Wagon.
- Be the Top Dog at Adopt & Shop. You will oversee all store operations, including the oversight of all store employees and volunteers, ensuring that our animal care is top notch, our customers are treated with the highest regard, and we are achieving our sales and adoption goals.
- Oversee the training and management of all Adopt & Shop staff. Conduct monthly staff meetings and complete annual performance reviews. Help our employees become the best that they can by helping them to enhance their skills, as well as learning new ones along the way!
- Define a positive, fun, and safe environment for all volunteers by creating a strong culture of collaboration and communication. Like we said - that’s they way we work best.
- Oversee the sourcing, transport, and care of all animals by our Adopt & Shop staff and volunteers. You make sure our furry friends arrive on track and one time and are cared for well.
- Strategize. You like to plan for all of the incredible opportunities of the future. Manage the budget as it relates to all Adopt & Shop locations and our retail sales.
- Formulate our pricing policies. Review merchandising activities and determine sales promotion and studying trends.
- Oversee the marketing of all of our merchandise. Study advertising, sales promotion and display plans, and analyze operating and financial statements for profitability ratios. Make sure our displays are mindblowing, our prices are competitive, and we are on track with our sales goals.
- Work closely with our Marketing team -they’re great. You’ll get to partner with them to increase our public awareness, drive adoption and retail sales, and implement outreach.
- Get to be best buds with our shelter partners by developing and maintaining strong relationships.
- Oversee the management of all Adopt & Shop facilities making sure that all is in tip top shape and it doesn’t start raining inside.
- Help us open new stores as opportunities arise. Develop and implement strategic initiatives to expand the Adopt & Shop retail model. We’re in the business of saving pets and enriching lives here, people!
- Oversee our P&L report using detail analytics and root-cause analysis. Report all to our CPO monthly and quarterly. Seriously - this all makes complete sense to you.
- Make sure all of our T’s are crossed and our I’s are dotted when it comes to state and federal compliance and price integrity.
- Make friends! Help Adopt & Shop build relationships with our surrounding communities.
- Be responsible of overseeing the buying, the inventory process, and training and development. You’ll make sure all needs and goals are met while maintaining accuracy and accountability.
- Give weekly updates to the Chief Program Officer on Adopt & Shop performance, challenges, and success.
- Be our online presence. Respond to customer reviews and feedback on various websites. We want to know what the people think!
- Make sure everyone is on the same page. Communicate with the team about store performance and goals. Update our in-store goal board weekly.
- Oversee our stockroom inventory for both Adopt & Shop stores and the Catty Wagon. You know organize with the best of ‘em!
- Show that reporting and metrics make sense to you. You know everything there is to know about our financial objectives, expenditures, variances and corrective actions.
- Know the 4-1-1 on Adopt & Shop. You’re hip to everything that is going on in the stores.
- Be our enforcer. You know all of the company’s policies, procedures, and directives.
- Have a cheerful heart and be passionate about our mission.
- Learn something new every. single. day. Not learning is sooo last year.
- Do your job to the best of your ability, understanding that you are saving lives everyday.
- Run from anyone that says you won’t succeed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Have a High School diploma or equivalent. BA or BS degree isn’t required but it would be a plus!
- Have a minimum of 5 years operations experience. Retail experience is ideal.
- Experience in an animal shelter, veterinary office, training or boarding facility isn’t required but it would surely knock our socks off!
- Be comfortable handling all sizes and breeds of dogs and cats.
- Have knowledge of cat and dog health related issues and be able to recognize when our furry friends are not acting like themselves.
- Have some knowledge of the Los Angeles area shelters and rescues. It isn’t required but it would sure be awesome!
- Have A1 problem solving skills. There is no problem that you can’t conquer.
- Know how to work a POS and inventory system in your sleep.
- Have a CA driver license and a clean driving record.
- Know what the H-E-Double Hockey Sticks you’re doing when you’re using Google GSuite. Netsuite experience would be helpful too!
- Be accepting and welcoming of change, knowing that change is an opportunity to improve.
- Must love puppies & kittens. But, really, who doesn’t?
- Be a multi-tasking Guru when it comes to juggling many different projects at a time.
- Be able to communicate effectively with all types of people and pets (and if you can actually talk to pets - let us know your secret. We’ve been trying for years!).
- Have a burning desire to make a difference and save the lives of pets.