The Retail & Adoption Associate will oversee all aspects of the adoption & retail process on the Catty Wagon which is a mobile retail and adoption center on a converted food.. The Associate is responsible for maintaining and cleaning assigned public-facing areas of the Catty Wagon. This is a key-holding position. This position requires driving the Catty Wagon to events, working weekends, some nights and hours may vary.
Catty Wagon Duties:
- Drive the Catty Wagon to various locations in Los Angeles County. Comfortability in maneuvering a large vehicle is a must.
- Oversee adoption counseling to potential pet parents, ensuring all aspects of pet care are detailed to create successful adoption matches.
- Deliver exceptional customer service to all guests who enter the Catty Wagon.
- Recommend, select or help locate merchandise based on the customer’s needs and desires.
- Ticket, stock, arrange and display merchandise to promote sales and maintain well-kept shelves.
- Maintain a clean environment by fronting and facing merchandise, dusting shelves and keeping all kennels appropriately labeled.
- Open and close the register, performing tasks such as counting money, handling coupons, handling checks, balancing cash drawers and making deposits.
- Work one on one with volunteers. Be the sole contact for volunteers while on location with the Catty Wagon.
- Direct, train, and provide leadership for volunteers while working in close conjunction with the Volunteer Management Team.
- Foster a positive, fun, and safe environment for volunteers by creating a strong culture of communication and teamwork.
- Take on a diverse range of responsibilities in regards to volunteer growth opportunities through program development, including but not limited to leadership roles for volunteers, volunteer recognition, etc.
- Watch for and recognize safety/security risks and communicate them effectively in order to prevent injury/theft.
- Research and identify high traffic community events that meet the guidelines for our Catty Wagon mobile adoption truck
- Contact the events and negotiate participation - subject to marketing and animal care dept approval
- Coordinate event details, including volunteer needs, with event contacts and internal departments
- Prior to scheduled events, confirm details with all participating parties
- Regularly lift and/or move up to 10 lbs.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 lbs.
- Rarely lift and/or move up to 25 lbs.
- Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
Required Education and Experience:
- Previous experience in local and event marketing, event coordination or similar activity
- Familiarity with local area
- Excellent people skills
- Strong project management skills - organized, attention to details
- Able to do online research to identify events and make event arrangements
- High School Diploma or greater.
- Minimum of 2 years retail experience preferred.
- Valid Driver's License with clean driving record
- 2 years animal handling experience in an animal shelter, veterinary office, training or boarding facility strongly required.
- Knowledge of cats & dogs as companion animals and the ability to recognize change in an animal’s health or demeanor.
- Knowledge of animal welfare and cat/dog health issues.
- Comfortable handling dogs/cats of all sizes and breeds.
- Proficient in Microsoft Applications as well as the Google Apps Suite